Sunday, September 21, 2008

Back to school and other such nonsense





So, we're off and running in homeschooling land. Nathalie is doing amazingly well after a few bumps *cough* during the first week or two of school. She is nothing if not verbose and stubborn, but watching her learn is an amazing privilege. My bestest buddy Heather has graciously allowed us to use a room of her home to have a school room, so we've decked it out in everything that is Kindergarten. We are growing a Chia pet, learning Italian, playing instruments, doing crafts, writing, reading, saying the pledge of allegiance... just like "normal" school.

You may then ask why I am doing this if I'm such a fan of traditional school. No, I do not have a death wish, nor am I masichistic. I am certainly not the mom you would have pegged as "most likely to homeschool her children" when I graduated from high school. Sometimes I really lose my temper. Sometimes I just want to ship them off to boarding school. But mostly, I want to give my girls an extra couple of years to be innocent, free little girls. They don't have to compare themselves to other kids, they don't have to be bombarded by Hannah Montana (not that there's anything wrong with her...) or try to be anything but sweet, joyful little girls. Although Nat is working on pendmanship and reading and all sorts of things that are Kindergarten, mostly I am trying to spend the time to know the hearts of my children, to listen to them, to guide them and to allow them to be the children that God has created them to be. I am so blessed to have this opportunity, and although it means some sacrifice financially for our family, I am looking forward to a day when my children are grown and I can truly say I did my best and that I know my girls and they know me.

And, as a saying goes, "I have seen the village and I don't want them raising my children." At least not yet.

I should also say that this decision was made prayerfully and over the course of many months, and is what is best, this year, for OUR family. This was one of those gray areas where we could have gone in more than one direction and I'm sure would have been blessed either way. No matter if you have your children in public school, private school, or dual immersion school (whatever that may be;) the important thing is that you make the decision that is the best you can offer your children. Not what is easiest, not what is the most financially easy, but what is the best you can give them. Blessings to all my friends who are doing their best to raise heatlthy, happy, Godly children in this crazy world.

3 Deep Thoughts:

Mia said...

im glad your taking the extra time with the girls! have fun !!

kristal said...

i am so blessed by your post! you have such a beautiful (not to mention Godly) understanding of parenting and major kudos for doing what you think is best. YOU will answer for the decisions you made for your children...not all the other opinions out there. i hope you are getting lots of joyful moments and treasuring them.

Her said...

I keep meaning to comment on this post. I'm proud of you for doing what you're doing, Mrs. Reese. I see what a dedicated teacher and mom you are to Nat & Annie. They are some lucky ladies. Love you friend:)