Saturday, May 12, 2007

To Mom, on Mother's Day

I am so thankful for the time and the place where the line between mother and daughter becomes a faint, comfortable cushion that we can sit on together and talk.

Where the "because I said so"s that echo from childhood are more appropriately heard as "because I'm wiser and I love you".

Where the economy of childhood (we can't afford that right now) is appreciated as "I'm not working so I can stay home and provide a foundation for you that is worth more than any income."

I'm grateful for the ability to see many of the prayers offered up on my behalf, by my mother, come to fruition in my life.

She is a woman whom I have rarely, if ever,heard speak a bad word about anyone. She thinks the best of people, and though I have criticized her for being naive, it is this quality that has allowed her to remain a faithful and devoted wife and mother and child of the Lord for her whole life. Love always hopes, always perseveres...

She is a woman who rarely asks for anything and is willing to give her last penny to someone in need.

She is a woman who has trudged through life's trials and struggles continually allowing them to shape her and mold her into a more Christ like woman.

She is a woman who is not a radiant pageant queen by earthly standards, but in the courts of the Lord she will radiate a beauty that far outweighs the empty beauty that we see plastered on billboards and television commercials.

She has never once said anything to me that was harsh or critical or self-serving but has always spoken to me as someone she loved and respected. When I was a very young child, not yet in Kindergarten, I remember having people tell me what a large vocabulary I had. Any compliment I have received in my life should be counted as a credit to the time and attention of my mother.

She is someone who takes every situation in life and turns it into a teaching opportunity. No life situation or simple set of events would pass through our days without mom drawing a lesson from it, always pointing to the goodness of God, his faithfulness, his provision, his standards. Not platitudes, but truths spoken at critical times that shaped our character.

Who can understand, as a child, the love of a mother? Where she is overbearing, strict, conservative, nosey, argumentative, persistent or crazy she is what a child can't perceive. She is a shepherd, protecting her little flock from wolves they cannot see. She is a diligent, armed soldier fighting the army that seeks to overtake her children each day that they don't notice. She is a tireless, sacrificial, misunderstood and yet devoted warrior for her child's best interest.

So mom, every time I screamed that you didn't understand, every time I called you names, pouted and slammed doors, thank you for being the one that was sending the arrow over my shoulder, taking down the enemy I didn't know existed.

Mom, You are a gracious, loving, devoted wife and mother and your gentle, encouraging spirit has taught me invaluable lessons about how to walk this earth without being scorched by it. You encourage me in my walk with Jesus, you are a doer and not merely a hearer of the word. You have crowns that you cannot yet see, treasures stored for you that you cannot imagine. I love you, and I'm proud to be your daughter. Without you, I would never have become me.

2 Deep Thoughts:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Wow! Just...wow! Can I steal (wait stealing is wrong)this and just send it to my mom pretending that I wrote it? :)
What a beautiful tribute to your mom Kacey.

Christy said...

Words so beautiful and sentiment echoed to my mom - we sure have been blessed with amazing teachers to continually study and draw smarts from as we cross the bridges they crossed over 25 years ago! Thank you for sharing your heart day after day. The miles are disappearing when I check in.
So serious - let's pray about writing together. It's not that crazy of an idea - It just might be a little long!