Monday, July 30, 2007

Soap Box Jockey

Call me crazy, but I'm going to risk it, I'm going to attempt to beat a dead horse. I think I've mentioned before that I grew up in a false church full of theives and robbers. I've seen and heard of unspeakable injustices done in the name of God. I was taught to believe things that have no biblical basis and have nothing to do with Jesus. I did not know who he was, what he did, or who his is now. People do and say all manner of insane things in the name of religion. Let me be the first to say, if you've had these experiences, if you've seen or heard things that just don't jive with what a Christian should do and say, I'm sorry, and you're not alone.

I'd like to continue by saying, if you continue to harbor bitterness or anger at others or at God for these things, you need to stop. God did not do these things or say these things, in fact, the bible says that many will come in his name, many will claim false things and do all sorts of things in the name of Christ. He warned us through his word to not be surprised that these things happen. Anything of value always has a counterfeit, check out e-bay and any gucci purse. Always a counterfeit. They seek to fool others for their own gain.

Yes, God allows it. He allows all sorts of things in order to allow each of us to make our own decisions. That doesn't mean he isn't just or doesn't care. People will face the consequences for these things. Catholic priests who molest children will face justice. People who start cult churches because they desire power and money will all stand face to face with God and be held accountable.

If you've been burned by people, don't blame God. If anyone has a reason to not trust God, it would be me. I missed out on a childhood, no Christmas, no birthdays, no Friday night football games, etc. I had friends who were beaten by their fathers or step fathers and had the church look the other way. I've seen women portrayed as the villian because they left abusive relationships. I could go on and on but I won't. Some of you will use these things as proof that God doesn't care or isn't real, But I don't.

Despite all these things, I have found that God is true and faithful. He never lies and never fails. He is always good, always loving, always available. He hates anyone who harms a child. He despises people lying or cheating in his name. He will not leave these things unaddressed. He has offered us eternal life and forgiveness of all of our sins. For anyone who just wishes they could start over, be someone new, he offers this. If anyone belongs to Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone, the new has come.

Here's the challenge. Don't use the things I mentioned as an excuse to turn your back on God. If you had a really bad experience with a dental assistant as a child, does that mean that the dentist is evil or does it change your need for a dentist? No, it means that someone who claimed to be representing the dentist was a creep. You still need some fillings, and lets face it, some of us need the full veneer package.

And so, I have, maybe needlessly, beaten the dead horse. Maybe I'm just preaching to the choir. Maybe I've used one too many idoms. I'll leave that to you to decide.

0 Deep Thoughts: