There's something that's been bothering me for a long time, and I've discussed it a little with close friends, but I know that many people who read my blog don't regularly read the bible, so I want to set something straight.
I've been reading a blog by a young woman who is going through infertility and miscarriage. Many MANY well wishing bloggers comment on her site saying, "Remember, God won't give you more than you can handle!" This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine mostly because that's just not true. The bible never says that. The bible does say that we will not be tempted beyond what we can bear, but that is an entirely different matter.
When it comes to trials and hardships, if it were the case that God never gives us more than we can handle, I would be failing miserably because I always seem to have more than I can handle. Even little things overwhelm me and at times I can fall into dispair. But here's the deal. It is in our very weakness and inability to cope and handle the hard times that befall us that we meet the Lord for who he is. It is in these times that we can have him take up our burden and carry it for us. Paul talks this way about a trial that he was given that he kept dealing with,
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12:8-10)
The Christian life isn't without pain and suffering. Paul, who healed many people, even a man who'd fallen out a window and died, couldn't heal his own trial. He asked the Lord, and the Lord told him that his difficulty was allowed FOR A REASON. God's power is made perfect in our weakness and his grace us sufficient for us. In other words, he wants us to see that he is all we need. When we are weak, then we are strong.
Christ's kindom is an upside down kingdom, his ways are not our ways. But we can KNOW: when we are weak, he is strong. His power will rest on us if we lean on him. He DOES allow things that are more than we can handle because his grace alone is sufficient. (Please note: I am not saying he CAUSES our problems, but that he can work all things together for Good. Romans 8:28)
So, that's my peeve. When people misquote the bible, they are misconstrewing the message that God has for us. If you feel that you are weighted down by more than you can handle, you just might be, but you're not alone, and Jesus can handle it all.
Adventuring with Karen
6 years ago








4 Deep Thoughts:
It kind of goes along with the free will thing don’t you think?
We can feel the fire, run and not let God work something out in our lives.
I can not handle a lot of things in my life, but when I submit my will to His, something amazing happens. i can "handle it"
i really appreciate your thoughts here, kacey. i think people "cheapen" other peoples' pain when they say things like that. they also cheapen the grace and strength and care of our God. i'm glad you spoke on this.
Hey yo, woman of worth, where did you go?
I like this post, it's not that it's more than we can handle, but it's that it's never more than He can handle.
This is a great post. I often think, when I hear those not-in-the-bible quotes, "Wow, that the person is not speaking of my God". Sort of their own, humanized, fits-my-lifestyle God. I know my God and I know such descriptions and quotes do not fit His character. They are nice thoughts, but they water down the truth. I'm so glad we have the infallible word of God to tell us what He really says:)
Post a Comment