So I'm slightly addicted to facebook. Don't ask, just go with it for the purpose of this post. On facebook, there is an application that allows one to rate movies and then compare movie ratings with friends. Pretty woman is one of those films. Across the board, my closest friends rate this movie very highly. Although I understand that their is some redemptive value in this film in that a once very active and probably contagious prostitute falls in love with a ruthless and evil business man who consequently learns to be better, and most likely catches some disease, I have a hard time understanding why this film is so popular. Ok, I'll take a breath from that last run-on sentance. So to my girlfriends who are of the same mindset as me in so many things, why is this a good film? Why is it worth watching and even owning? I'm just curious.
Adventuring with Karen
6 years ago








12 Deep Thoughts:
I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it's worth owning, but every once in a while it's nice to watch a story of a woman growing and overcoming a life that most cannot. It's also nice to see that sometimes people can see who you can become and not just who you appear to be.
That's all I can think of, but I only watch it maybe once every 5 or 10 years.
I agree Rae, that is a great theme and one that plays itself out in many classic literary tales, but it's so completely unrealistic and idealistic as it's portrayed in this movie. I guess I'm just tired of being desensitized by the glamorization of things that are simply not glamorous. There are amazing true stories of people who, by the grace of God, have overcome drugs and all sorts of abuse and other backgrounds and these are the stories I want to watch. I really think this movie dolls up prostitution which, in my opinion, is a horrible degradation of women and an activity that has prolonged and deep emotional and psychological side effects.
Did I mention I'm going on no sleep? If these rantings seem incongruous to you or just plain crazy, my apologies!
yes. Please delete *cr*p* and replace with poo. It's poo. Poo,poo,poo.:)
I watched the movie once, and it didn't make any impression on me as being this "oh so great movie!". Whateva. But, I think the reason that so many women like this movie is because they see it as "an unloved damsel in distress gets rescued, loved, charmed, and becomes rich all at the same time". And they lived happily ever after. It's a fairy tale, "prince comes to save the lady" type of thing. Most women like that kind of thing. Julia Roberts is pretty and charming as an actress and they picked a handsome guy, most people feel that way anyway. Add three eggs, two tbsp. oil, mix 50 strokes and you have a movie made for success.
Me, I watched it once and thought, "well, that was a wicked waste of two hours of my life."
its a yuck movie on face book i said so. hello newsflash she is a hooker, and in real life she would not have that "glow" Jroberts has in the movie ! its all yuck and i hate it. :)
trish is sooo right!! thats prob why its likeable.
You are 100% right - there are much better stories out there, and P.W. is certainly not one I'd encourage anyone who hadn't seen it to watch.
I have to preface this comment by saying I have not seen this movie in over 15 years, I think.
Although I would not allow my girls to watch this movie, the "highness" of my rating is based on the nostalgia of this Cinderella story for me. I first saw this in JH and in my naivety thought it was a story of someone who found herself in a place she didn't want to be (selling herself) with a chance to change her situation if she could only believe she was worth more. She continues to discover more about who she is and then realizes her dreams can come true. I have never liked the ending.
For what it's worth, I agree with you that the movie does not have redeeming qualities and looking back, I don't think I was really analyzing each movie rating as closely as I should have.
hey, not going for any guilt here, I'm sure we all watch movies that aren't "the best" use of our time...there are lots of movies I used to love that I look back at now and go, "seriously?"(BTW, "seriously" is banned in my house. Let's find a new word to overuse and ruin now.)
Seriously! (just had to get one last one in!)
I'm calling for a vote compelling a new post. I'm tired of looking at Super-Ho Julia Roberts at the top of this page. All those in favor, mark 'Aye'.
Thank you, friends ;)
Post a Comment